The National Fire Protection Association reports that cooking has been the leading cause of home fires since 1990. So while you're spending your time over the next few months decluttering and scrubbing your living space, pay some extra attention to your kitchen. We've put together some of our top tips:
1. We can never stress this one enough: test your smoke alarm!
2. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher within reach. Also ensure that you have read the user's manual and that you and everyone in your home are aware of the correct way to use the extinguisher.
3. Ensure you have a well thought out, appropriate escape plan. This includes:
- Make sure everyone in your home is aware of the fire exits
- Map out a designated place for everyone to meet once outside
- Run regular drills to make sure exits flow smoothly
4. Check all of the wires in your kitchen: replace frayed/damaged wires and ensure that none are tangled or placed in a spot where they can get wet.
For more general tips on kitchen fire safety, visit this link!